HISTORY OF TEMPLE LUTHERAN CHURCH
Over two hundred and fifty years ago a small group of German farmers and manufacturers settled in this area. They were of the Lutheran faith and wanted to establish a place of worship for their families. Vallentin Puff, a farmer and carpenter, donated land and helped build a log church that same year; later a schoolhouse was added. One of the earliest pastors was Rev. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, who visited many congregations in Pennsylvania, riding on horseback, and was called the “Patriarch of the Lutheran Church in America”.
During the Revolutionary War the church was used as a hospital for American soldiers injured in the Battle of Germantown; several patriots were buried in the old cemetery next to the church.
As the congregation grew, a number of renovations were made on the building, both inside and out, with a parish house built on the opposite side of Susquehanna Road, serving as a place of learning and social get-togethers. A new education building, dedicated in 1959, replaced the former parish house.
It was in the early 1970’s that the congregation undertook a building program for a new church, across the road from the former building. It was dedicated in 1973 and the old church, which had served the congregation for more than 100 years, was razed. As the congregation grew and additional space was needed for new programs, the congregation approved plans for an addition which connected the church with the education building. Today our facilities are used not only for worship, education and other congregational activities, but by the community as well.
Reverend Marion Richard, who spoke at the 150th anniversary of Upper Dublin in 1903 commented “It may be considered an honor to be a member of a church 150 years old, but whether one be a member of a church one year old makes but little difference. The one thing needful is, that one be a member; that he be joined to the very body of Christ.”